US physician moving to HK

  • strict warning: Non-static method view::load() should not be called statically in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 879.
  • strict warning: Declaration of content_handler_field::options() should be compatible with views_object::options() in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 208.
  • strict warning: Declaration of date_handler_field_multiple::pre_render() should be compatible with content_handler_field_multiple::pre_render($values) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 185.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_argument::init() should be compatible with views_handler::init(&$view, $options) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 745.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 589.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_submit() should be compatible with views_handler::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 589.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_validate() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 135.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_submit() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_submit(&$form, &$form_state) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 135.


I'm a pediatrician from the US and am possibly making the move to HK with my husband for his work.

Anyone know what the licensing process is for a US board certified pediatrician? I've read various conflicting data.


Try HK Paediatric Society?

Sorry, no idea on this, maybe the local paediatric society can help you?


Go to the forms at

Go to the forms at

I think you may have to take a licensing exam,You can find out more from the Medical Council of Hong Kong.

If you want to work as a

If you want to work as a clinican....

ANY person qualified from the USA will have to undergo the licensing exam. After that, you have to spend at least a year as an intern in the public healthcare system for full registration. Only then can you practice as a doctor in HK.

The only exception is to find a University post. These have special exemptions so you can occupy an academic post, and practice as a clinician. However, you can only do private work under the University and I believe the fees generated would go to the department's academic fund rather than your own pocket!

On the other hand, if you want to work but not as a clinician e.g. medical writer, there shouldn't be a problem. You just have to get the appropriate working visa.