Income Tax for a US HK Citizen

  • strict warning: Non-static method view::load() should not be called statically in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 879.
  • strict warning: Declaration of content_handler_field::options() should be compatible with views_object::options() in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 208.
  • strict warning: Declaration of date_handler_field_multiple::pre_render() should be compatible with content_handler_field_multiple::pre_render($values) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 185.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_argument::init() should be compatible with views_handler::init(&$view, $options) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 745.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 589.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_submit() should be compatible with views_handler::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 589.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_validate() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 135.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_submit() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_submit(&$form, &$form_state) in /nfs/c03/h02/mnt/51424/domains/ on line 135.

Hi, I am a US HK citizen since I was born in HK. I am currently working in the US, but might get a transfer to HK with a US company. I know that I will be paying income taxes with the US, but will I have to pay income tax with HK too since I am hold permanent residency there? If I do have to pay taxes on both ends, how would I go about revoking my HK citizenship? Thanks.

Double taxation?

Hi Anon;

You'll definitely have to pay the income tax here in Hong Kong. Your being born here doesn't matter; it's the fact that you're earning money here that makes you liable. You may also have to pay US taxes, but it depends on how much money you'll be making in HK. You get an exclusion up to USD80,000 per year.

This article and this one have more on taxes in Hong Kong.