In particular, where do you go to buy TVs, cameras, computers, mobile phones, etc?
Our suggestions about this on batgung are around six years old. Then we wrote about visiting small stores to get a good deal, but these days I find I'm more likely to go to the big chain stores, especially if shopping with visitors.
I feel the difference in price between them has got much smaller - or maybe I've just got more cranky, and can't be bothered visiting lots of shops. So, cranky or rational - that's the question I hope you'll help answer.
Here's where I bought most recently:
- TV: Finally got a flat-screen TV earlier this year. Saw a good offer at Broadway from our credit card, and bought there.
- Camera: Last month bought a Panasonic compact. Not much variation from vendor's list price among the shops I checked, and not widely stocked. Annoyed to find that HK list price was 30%+ higher than US list, so bought a grey-market set in Wanchai computer centre at roughly US list.
- Desktop PC: Had one built around 2 years ago in Wanchai Computer Centre. For what I do, this is more than fast enough, so it should be fine for a few more years. Then after it dies the next one will likely be an off-the-shelf brand like Dell.
- Netbook: Bought one of the first Asus EEE almost two years ago when it first came out. Limited screen & storage, so will very likely buy a new netbook in the next couple of weeks.
- Mobile phone: Bought a subsidised Sony Ericsson a couple of years ago at a Smartone shop. Nothing fancy. The rebates finished last month, so I might be tempted to get one with GPS support next year, to help pinpoint locations when I'm out wandering the hillsides.
How about you?