US Citizen with Hong Kong ID

I was born and raise in Hong Kong. Recently become US Citizen. But I still have my HK ID with the expiration date till year 2009.
Am I still consider HK citizen or residient. Can I work in Hong Kog? Anyboby knows?? Please help.


Yes, you are still consider a HK citizen if you were born in HK. I am also a HK US citizen.


If you work in HK you have to make payments to both HK IRA and US IRS.

I think you can exclude the

I think you can exclude the income you earned in Hong Kong for up to US$80,000.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

Is it a permanent ID card?

Is it a permanent ID card? I wondered because you mentioned an expiration date, which I haven't heard of before. If it is a permanent ID card, you have right of abode, which means you don't need a visa to live or work here.

Right of abode is discussed here.

Something else to bear in mind is that you may have the choice of whether to be treated as a US citizen or Chinese citizen when you arrive in HK, see 'Special circumstances' at


Information on US tax for US expatriates released yesterday

Tax rise may lead to fewer US expatriates
Source: SCMP(A2)
Firms hiring Americans to work in HK may have to rethink their recruitment strategies in view of impending tax increases on US citizens working overseas. Under the Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005, which is President George W. Bush is expected to ratify in the next few days, expatriate Americans will be taxed on a greater portion of their housing benefits compared to the current cap of US$12,000 a year. The existing exclusion of US$80,000 a year from tax will also be indexed for inflation. There are between 50,000 and 55,000 Americans living in HK

The news posted:The

The news posted:
The Immigration Department announced today (May 12) the latest policy governing the conditions of stay of dependants. From Monday (May 15), the dependants of people admitted into Hong Kong for professional employment or as capital investment entrants will not need prior permission from the Director of Immigration before taking up employment in Hong Kong.

Now I found out that this won't be a problem for me (Chinese who was born in Hong Kong) to work in Hong Kong, but what about my husband (American).
Is the above immigration law apply to me as well What if I am not a professional employment or investor.

Our plan is - I will go to Hong Kong with my 1-1/2 year old son and check things out first. If everything turn out to be good and my husband will consider to go to Hong Kong, too. I am thinking to give us 1 year time. I think eventually I'll get some jobs? May not pay me as well as here in the US. But I have a feeling it will be very hard for my husband who is an aerospace engineer (20years experience). I am so homesick that to a point I'll do anything to go back to my hometown. Also, it's so important that my son will grow up to be able to talk in Chinese. Right??


I've never noticed that

I've never noticed that there are so many Americans living in Hong Kong? Good to know. My husband is worry nobody would speak English to him. I also saw some ads for hiring. A lot of jobs do require appliciants to speak English/Chinese/Mandarin. This makes it harder for him cause he doesn't.

Where are all the Americans in Hong Kong?

Until recently, the government's census department seemed to have trouble finding them too. In the Population by Ethnicity, 2001 report, there is an entry for 'British 18,909', after Chinese, Filipino, and Indonesian - but no mention of Americans. I guess the table was compiled by a Brit who was making one last point before retiring?

He must have left for home by the time the government's 2004 yearbook was compiled. It lists foreign passport holders at the end of that year as:
Philippines @ 129,760
Indonesia @ 105,710
USA @ 29,900

UK is way down the list at 17,780, under Thailand, Canada, India, Australia, and Nepal.

Finally, if you're not fussy what accent your English is spoken in, you'll find even more people to talk to. The Population Aged 5 and Over by Usual Language, 1991, 1996 and 2001 report shows there were 203,598 people in 2001 that considered English their usual language.


I think he can still look

I think he can still look for work - see this post.


US citizen looking for jobs in Hongkong


I am US citizen, I would like to find a job in Hong Kong. Does anyone know how to apply the work permit there, or where to look for job listing for US oversea firms. Thanks a lot.

Best Regards

re: US citizen looking for jobs

I recommend you check the links in the 'Move to Hong Kong' section on our home page, you'll find relevant info there.