part time working visa

I have got working permit in Hong Kong, and my spouse want to apply for part time job here. How can he get a working visa? Does he need to be sponsored by a particular employer to get a working visa?

I think it depends

on whether you are an HK resident or not.


Sorry Mr B. I am not a

Sorry Mr B. I am a foreign national and am to enter Hong Kong on a working visa. I heard there will a change of HK immigration policy that allows more flexibility for spouse of working visa holder to work. Is that right? When will that come into effect?

I've heard that too - but it doesn't seem official yet

Hello Huiling,

I've heard something similar (maybe read it somewhere) but on the Immigration Dept.'s FAQ it says:

"Q7:Why the new policy does not grant dependants automatic right to work?

The review on the dependant policy has taken into account the practices adopted in other major developed economies, such as Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, the UK and the USA. The requirement on dependants to seek prior permission before taking up employment in Hong Kong is in line with the international practice. It should be stressed in particular that the requirement of obtaining prior permission before dependants may take up employment is not a wholesale prohibition. Dependants who satisfy the criteria similar to those applicable under the General Employment Policy1 may be given permission to work in Hong Kong. As the sponsors of the dependants are themselves subject to an application and vetting process before they are allowed to work in Hong Kong, there is no reason why their dependants should have the automatic right to work in Hong Kong without prior permission.

1The relevant criteria are:

1. the applicant should have a good education background, normally a first degree in the relevant field, but in special circumstances, good technical qualifications, proven professional abilities and/or relevant experience and achievements supported by documentary evidence would also be accepted;

2. the applicant must have a confirmed offer of employment before making the application. The employment secured must be relevant to the applicant's academic qualification or working experience, and the job cannot be readily taken up by the local work force; and

3. the remuneration package is broadly commensurate with the prevailing market level for similar jobs in HK."

The policy has been in effect for 3 years

Maybe ask direct?

Yes, there was an announcement about the change, but I haven't heard of a firm date when it will take effect.

Have you tried emailing them to ask? They usually respond within a couple of days.

Regards, MrB

My immigration lawyer said

My immigration lawyer said this:
Secretary of Security has announced that sometime in June, dependents of persons with employment visas will be allowed to work again without specific sponsorship but procedures to implement this change is not in place yet.
So it seems the timing is in June, sorry if this info has already been posted.


Spousal Visa Rule Scrapped

Manpower / working visa
Spousal visa rule scrapped
Source: SCMP (A3) / HKET (A20) (May 13)
Spouses of expatriate professionals and capital investors in HK will no longer be required to apply for separate work visas to take up employment from today. The department decided to lift the restrictions imposed in July 2003, to “enhance HK’s edge in attracting professionals and investors”. Under the new policy, spouses of people admitted to live in the city for professional employment or capital investment can work without permission from the director of immigration. However, spouses of those on study visas to HK will still have to seek independent work visas if they want to work.

Full report in the SCMP today 15 May. Great news!